Thursday

Steamboat Vanessa

I seem to get bored of things quite quickly. I start a new hobby (this time is blogging) and I'm riled up and have so many things i want to say, and I try to jam-pack everything in all at once before I (and I will) run out of steam, and then kinda forget about my not so new and exciting hobby.

... sigh. This is me: A.D.D. O.C.D, G.A.D just to name a few. I'm a ball of energy when I want to be, and other moments I am a neurotic basket case, looking for a new shiny thing to grab my attention.

So, since I have the steam now, I will take advantage of it, and try to compile all my thoughts and memories into my blogs, and at least then they are saved somewhere other than in my brain.

Today, as I was walking around, running errands, and trying to find espresso, and I was making a list of all my favorite things about living in Korea. (this goes back to my previous post regarding a lecture I have to do for newbies about life in Korea as a foreigner).


All this research and compiling of my thoughts into a readable format has got me thinking about all the years I have spent here, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I also really like making lists in my head. not so good at writing those lists down, which sometimes creates more confusion, but keeps my brain occupied for short periods of time.

So here is my list:

My Top Ten Favorite Things about Korea


1. Bath houses/ saunas- nothing more relaxing than sitting around naked and clean


2. Chicken on a stick- I know this is not unique to Korea, but for a thousand won ($1.00) it's a damn good snack on the run


3. Public transportation- Korea has the one of the most efficient and inexpensive bus, train and subway systems I know of.


4. the shopping- so. many. things. to. buy. I'm lucky that most of it doesn't fit my big western boobs or I'd be broke.


5. Taxis- cheap and fast. And if you buy yourself a helmet and goggles you can also pretend your a street car racer!


6. The ability to travel cheaply and quickly to any of the surrounding countries. Tokyo for the weekend? why not? Hong Kong for my birthday? Hell yes!


7. The Buddhists temples. beautiful and peaceful even in the middle of downtown Seoul.







8.The traditional markets- even if I don't buy anything (rare) I can still wander around them for hours taking pictures and sampling tasty treats.



9. Oriental Clinics or Han Wee Won- acupuncture, the smell of herbs, and a hot pack. for under $5.

10. The generosity and hospitality Koreans offer to foreigners . I do believe they are often nicer to western strangers than to other Koreans.

So, that's my list for today. I also have a list of the top ten things that are not so much my favorite that i will keep to myself for now.

I read a really cool quote the other day talking about culture shock. It was something along the lines of , When we get angry at unexpected things, say like getting shoved in line, or stared at, its because we are operating under the assumption or expectation that everyone thinks and feels the way we do. So its not the action we are angry at, but the fact that we are subconsciously expecting everyone to follow the same set of rules, and when they don't, we are irritated. I had to chew on this for a while, but there's a lot of sense to it.
Like, for instance, my idea of a cup of coffee, and the Korean idea of a cup of coffee are wayyyy off, but neither is incorrect. But having expectations about everyone being the same, I would be very angry when given a small paper cup of milk and sugar instant coffee, instead of a nice black, freshly brewed cup. Its all a mater of perception.




No comments:

Post a Comment