Monday

Skeletons in my Closet

I've never pictured myself as a cop.

I never pictured myself as alot of things really, but a law-enforcing authority figure was at the top of the list. But since I've had to make some major adjustments in lifestyle, it was also time for a career change.
This past spring, I applied for several jobs, and realised (to my amazement) I was drawn to mostly law enforcement positions- Forces, Coast Guard, DFO officer, Park Warden etc. I wrote the entrance exam for RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and passed. (again, to my amazement)

Now I've been selected to continue to the next level of the application process: A very physically demanding obstacle course to complete in 4 and a half minutes, a psychological interview, and finally, the polygraph test.

I am nervous.

While living overseas, I pretty much stayed clear from anything that would get me thrown into SE Asian jail. But my past,.... well that's a different story.

The applicant questionnaire of 95 questions, glares up at me, asking me things like:

"Have you ever used or experimented with any illegal drugs?" check.

"Have you ever stolen anything?" Ever? Ummm, YES.

"what is the worst thing anyone is going to say you have done to them?"
Oh my God. really??


"Do you know of any reason why you should not be hired as a police officer?" .........

If I were christian I would feel like I was being judged to be let through the pearly gates.
There are some points while filling in the answers that I actually ask myself whether or not I should seriously continue, or if I'm just wasting my time. But everyone has skeletons in their closets right? everyone has done things they are not proud of.... or could have possibly been arrested for in at least one country?

Now, I'm probably over thinking things like I normally do, because I'm sure, compared to some people, I might look like a saint. and it was a long time ago. and I've been told that they look at what you have to offer overall, not just focusing on the bad things.....
Some people suggested I lie. the worst liar I know, and 2) it's a polygraph. designed to tell if your LYING.

So, I've decided to go with brutal honesty. So honest, they will probably wondered why I volunteered some of the information. Not leaving a single detail out of the things I've done.
This may or may not get me the desired outcome, but I'm thinking of it as cleaning out the closet.
not about to start going to confession, but I can see the lure of it. It feels good to spill it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment