Monday

Touring with Erin- Day one

For my last week in Jeju, my friend Erin flew down to stay with me from Seoul. It's only about and hour flight and prices are usually pretty decent if you go with Jeju Air. (and Jeju residents get a 10-20% discount) I flew with these guys alot going back and forth to visit people on the mainland, and the service was always great.

Anyways, we packed up our scooters from Mr. Lee's Bikes, and headed off on a 3 day tour of the island. It was the best goodbye Jeju could have given me.

It was Erin's first trip to Jeju, so I wanted to show her all the best spots before we both headed out. We took the coastal road down to my favorite beach Hallim, stopping in Aewol along the way. I cant remember the name of the little cafe at the end of Aewol, right before you get back on the highway, but they had awsome coffee, good food and an amazing view. Not to mention that it had a very cool "Greek" eclectic feel to it, complete with a surfboard hangin from the ceiling.
Erin with a slightly road-rashed elbow due to the minor scooter vs. gravel incident.
The Haenyo (women divers of Jeju) were out gathering scallops and other shellfish to sell to local restaurants. A dying breed, these women are a force to be reckoned with. Unique only to Jeju, these women have a long and tumultuous history. They simply amaze me.





By late afternoon we reached Gecko's, a favorite of many expat living in Korea. The Gecko's bar in Seoul has been a staple of Itaewon for years, but the Jeju location is a newer, larger bar on the south side of the island. They serve all the same tasty stuff as the original Gecko's, but you can eat outside on a big patio.
After a yummy dinner, we headed home to sleep so we could get up early the next morning and head out for day 2!

More to come of my scooter adventures with Erin....


No comments:

Post a Comment